[Server's Up] "Server's Down" Megathread: Oct 28 2017

This section contains all the announcements made by Fly For Sky staff members. Check here to see the latest Fly For Sky information from the staff.

[Server's Up] "Server's Down" Megathread: Oct 28 2017

Postby Reed10021 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:48 am

Here's a timeline of what happened to cause the server to be down for an extended period.
Last updated at: 11:10 AM Server Time
    October 28,2017 at 4:12 AM Server Time
      King or Spirit? You decide in-game! Side with the King of All Hallow's Eve, or side with the Spirit of All Hallow's Eve! Players on the winning side will win a special prize! See the patch notes @ http://flyforsky.org/pl.php for more details.
      The patch is up, the server is UP!

At this point I have to restart the server due to a bug I found as soon as I logged in.
      Okay, server's up for real now.

At this point, I go to bed because it's 4 in the morning. I would find out later that at around 5AM Server Time the server turned itself off. After doing a little research...

October 28, 2017 at 11:51 AM Server Time
      Server's not up yet. There's a problem with the machine - can't activate windows, so windows shuts itself down after an hour or so.
      Needless to say, this will be interesting. Hang tight, and sorry for the downtime.

October 28, 2017 at 12:02 PM Server Time

Server's up, we'll see how long it lasts.

Server proceeded to go down ~20 minutes later as expected.

October 28, 2017 at 3:29 PM Server Time
      Tech Support is working on the issue as we speak.

At this point my support ticket had a 'In Progress' label on it. Since then it's been escalated to higher levels but nothing has been resolved yet.

October 29, 2017 at 12:38 AM Server Time
      No status update yet, everything's the same as it was hours ago. There's really no words I can use to describe this except that it fucking sucks. I'm sorry that we've been down for a day now.
      In case anyone was wondering... No. This is not due to the update. If I roll the update back, it wouldn't do a damn thing.
      There's pretty much nothing I can do at this point other than wait for support to fix it.

October 29, 2017 at 11:09 AM Server Time
      Support hasn't moved since my last message. Suddenly I doubt it'll get fixed today.

October 30, 2017 at 12:12 AM Server Time
      Nothing's changed yet; same as before. Like I said previously, apparently support takes sundays off (which is some shit).
      Assuming they don't take mondays off, and they are half-way competent, it should be up in ~12hrs.

October 30, 2017 at 12:28 AM Server Time
      Some dude talked trash.
      Some dude wrote:creating a server then doesnt know what to do when it comes to this problem
      better shut this server down

My response.
      Reed10021 wrote:Motherfucker this isn't a problem I created nor a problem I can deal with. That's why I'm stuck here waiting with everyone else.

More trash.
      Some dude wrote:It's a good server, but with this? yeah problems might come. but not this long. if you care about the players. it should be done in at most a day. but now?

My response.
      Reed10021 wrote:Okay fuckface. Here's the deal. This problem surfaced 20 minutes after I went to bed at 5AM on October 28. I woke up, investigated why the server was offline, saw that there was very much nothing I could do to fix this issue, and sent a tech support ticket to the host provider. I've done all I can do at this point, it's on support to actually fix it. It's out of my control at this point. I can't make support work sundays, and I can't make them work faster. I'm sorry you didn't get to play the new update this weekend, but you act like I'm not fucking angry that this happened. You act like I'm over here with my feet up, as happy as can be. No. I'm over here sweating bullets because being offline for a weekend is NOT good for the server and NOT good for everyone.

Some dude later apologized.
    October 30, 2017 at 9:54 AM Server Time
      Status update: The support ticket now has the status 'In Progress', which is seemingly good news. I'll let you know if anything changes.

On October 30, 2017 at 12:04 PM Server Time, the machine was fixed. The server is back up and running.
Soon(TM).
Reed10021
Site Owner
Progress to next level:
100%

Re: [READ ME] "Server's Down" Megathread

Postby SwiftKiLL » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:53 am

Thank You for taking the time to update us. Well just have to wait and hope for the best. Get some rest Reed!
SwiftKiLL
Level 1: Small Aibatt
Progress to next level:
33.3%

Postby Rumpelstiltskin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:15 am

No worries Dood! We will just wait for it! your beloved players just really hyped! Great works as always!

IGN: AlanWatts
Guild: iCe

"I cannot, if I am in the field of glory, be kept out of sight: wherever there is anything to be done, there Providence is sure to direct my steps."

"Castigat ridendo mores."
Rumpelstiltskin
Level 57: Steam Walker
Progress to next level:
60%

Postby TheDreamer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:32 am

Rumpelstiltskin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:15 pm wrote:No worries Dood! We will just wait for it! your beloved players just really hyped! Great works as always!

yea absolutely right Rump, everybody's hyped with the update haha

LIVE YOUR DREAM
TheDreamer
Level 17: Nyangnyang
Progress to next level:
16.7%

Postby Hyeon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:01 am

hmmmpp.... :BloodTrail: :BloodTrail:
IGN: Hyeon Guild: Exodus
Live life to the fullest, and focus on the positive. :Riot:
Hyeon
Level 28: Giant Jack the Hammer
Progress to next level:
0%

Postby Brook » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:32 am

get some rest for now
Brook
Level 2: Aibatt
Progress to next level:
33.3%

Postby Lizabeth » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:58 am

Very satisfying to come back after I've only had 2 hours of sleep in 2 days and see I am not the only one with the lack
of sleep disease! #Reed :)

You're one amazing guy for hanging onto it by threads I tell ya.. I've been playing games for years and never seen dedication like this and
the act of you able to put in all the effort and man hours to try to get it all working again is truly amazing in spirit!

I do believe you are the, undoubtedly, most efficient and self sufficient person running an entire server..
(Of course I don't know all the ins-and-outs about where the help comes from)
But wherever it does, I thank them too! Been playing your server for 2 months now and if there was a feedback system
on the Staff and administration who runs it.. I would say 11 out of 10.
Very excellent!
& again I, myself, truly appreciate everything knowing it's being taken care of, knowing it was just a stupid web browser incident, I can sleep at
peace today as my daughter attempts to wake me up 5 more times before the server comes back up.
Back to school on Monday wish me luck!
See you all soon,
Sincerely,
Amazed gaming mom<3
-Liz
Lizabeth
Level 5: Mushpang
Progress to next level:
33.3%

Postby Ryz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:02 am

Take a rest for awhile, Reedsama. Let there be light amidst the darkness we are seeing right now. :deIlluminati:
IGN: Ryz
Guild: Finest/iCe

"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."
Ryz
Level 58: Steel Knight
Progress to next level:
0%

Postby B O K » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:43 am

let IS and Boboku spend their time in Northern Flarine's Cafeteria :Kappa:

"ONLY THE STRONGEST WILL SURVIVE"
IGN:Wry/ScanDaL
B O K
Level 10: Demian
Progress to next level:
66.7%

Postby Dennis » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:46 am

Thanks Reed for all the things you're doing to make our flyffing experience awesome. Your effort and the sacrifice you're making are incredibly inspiring.

We will wait. All these things are hyping us, your beloved players. We are all excited for the new things that we will experience soon in game.

Thanks a lot. And thumbs up for all the members of your FFS Team.

:BloodTrail: :BloodTrail: :BloodTrail:
Dennis
Level 47: Creper
Progress to next level:
70%

Next

Return to Announcements